Ellevest’s online platform was built to make investing easy by doing the hardest parts for you.
We use an approach called goal-based investing, which means our advice is tailored to help you reach your financial goals by a certain date. Here’s how it works.
- Create an account and tell us about yourself. We’ll use the info you provide to tailor our advice to your financial situation.
- Choose an investing goal. Each of our goals is built slightly differently, according to their purpose. You can customize your goal’s settings, including the target end date and the total dollar amount you want to aim for.
- We’ll match you up with a smart, research-backed investment portfolio that we believe could give you the best chance of reaching your goal by your target end date. You can also choose whether you want to use an impact portfolio, which includes more investments that could help make the world better for women. (That means there’s no need to research and pick individual stocks. In fact, that’s not even something we do here.)
- You decide how much to invest. We’ll calculate how much we think you should start investing each month in order to reach your goal, but you can change it to whatever works for you (even if it’s just $1 — there’s no minimum1).
- Make your first deposit, and we’ll take it from there. We’ll invest your money into the portfolio we recommended and automatically adjust it to keep it in line with your plan.
1The Ellevest investing service doesn’t require you to maintain a minimum account balance. However, there are portfolio-specific minimums (ranging from $1 to approximately $240). You may not receive the entire recommended portfolio until your account balance meets the respective portfolio minimum. Ellevest will not rebalance a portfolio until it meets the respective account balance minimum necessary to generate the required shares. This minimum is a function of portfolio allocation and the share price of individual holdings, which will vary.